Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Happy Birthday to the Common Man

In the very early stages of our seventeen year marriage, Andrew and I were bickering about this or that -as you do, trying to wear off all those sharp edges of difference you hadn't noticed during the courtship phase - and he said, "You know what? I'm not asking for special treatment. I'd just like you to treat me as you would the common man on the street."

That ended that argument right then and there, because you can't fight when you're laughing, and set a new standard of behavior within our relationship. If you can't treat me like you love me, at least treat me like you don't know me.

So on this, Stage 10 of the TDF and Bastille Day and my husband's birthday, I'd like to give him a big extra helping of common courtesy and best wishes for the year ahead. Thanks for making sure there's never been a dull moment so far.

Here's a picture of the Common Man himself, pointing out historic bullet holes in a church in Russell, New Zealand - I did not shoot them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...