Wednesday, October 8, 2008

So many authors, so little time

We're about halfway through San Francisco's annual "Litquake" festival and I am spoiled by choice. This is such a literary town; you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a memoirist. So when I took a look at the Litquake schedule I was a bit overwhelmed.

Given other activities this week I am sort of limited to what's going on this weekend. So far I'm trying to hit Elizabeth Bennet Lives: Fabulous Femmes of Fiction on Friday night, because what that pertains to Jane Austen do I NOT love? Then on Saturday is the legendary Litcrawl from 6-9:30, with tons of choices scattered throughout the Mission in three distinct phases. I'm thinking about the panel on Finding Spirit in Everyday Life at Forest Books for Phase 1 at 6 pm- would love to go to Writing on Empty but it's scheduled at the same time. (The Knowing Pains writers and the Writing on Empty writers will be presenting together next month, on Thurs Nov. 13th at the Lafayette Library.)

The second phase at 7:30 is a harder choice: the San Francisco Writer's Collective aka the Grotto is presenting at the Elbo Room, and one of the presenters is Janis Cooke Newman whose historical fiction I love. But at the same time at Bruno's is Black and White and Read All Over: The Best of the San Francisco Chronicle, including my very favorite SFChron contributor, Bad Reporter Don Asmussen. I'd even hit the Literary Mama session, if I could only divide myself into three.

Did I mention that Jewell Parker Rhodes, who wrote "Douglass' Women," about Anna Murray Douglass and Ottilie Assing (the two women in Frederick Douglass' life prior to Helen) is speaking in Alameda on Saturday at 4 pm?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...